Race Day – 27th May 2018
Registration will take in the dance studio of Marl Pits Leisure Centre. Registration will open at 7 am. At registration you will be given:
- 2 race numbers which should be worn front and back
- Safety pins
- Relay teams will also receive a wristband, which will act as a baton during the race.
After registering competitors will be able to place their bikes in the transition area. At the entrance to the transition area there will be a compulsory safety check and any bikes not roadworthy will not be allowed to race. Only competitors are allowed in the transition area. The cycle racking will be numbered in blocks of 25. The transition marshals will direct competitors to their appropriate spot.
Once competitors have placed their bikes into the transition area they are then able to enter the changing rooms and change into their swim wear. Once changed and ready to race competitors should proceeded to the pool side via the changing rooms. Here they will have their race number written on both right arm and right thigh.
Once marked up, competitors will be seated along the edge of the pool in race number order. Competitors must be on pool side 15 minutes before their start time. Once assembled each swim wave will be given a final race briefing where they will be advised of any last minutes changes to the route and issued with a swim hat.
Approximately 2 minutes before their start time, competitors will be directed to their swim lane.
Parking at Marl Pits Leisure Centre is limited. Please car-share where possible. Competitors who are starting early will be directed onto the main car park situated within the complex. Late starters are advised that they may wish to park in the nearby car parks situated in Rawtenstall town centre which is about 10 minutes walk from Marl Pits. Once the car park at Marl Pits is full, further parking is available in Rawtenstall and marshals will direct you accordingly.
No parking is permitted on Newchurch Road near the entrance to the Leisure Centre. This is to ensure the safety of competitors at the start of the cycle section. Please respect access requirements of local residents, and use common sense when parking to avoid causing disruption to our neighbours.
Marl Pits Leisure Centre is located in the Lancashire town of Rawtenstall within the borough of Rossendale. Rawtenstall is approximately 25 minutes north of Manchester, 15 minutes from Burnley, Blackburn and Bolton. Rawtenstall has excellent motorway links with the M62, M66 and M65 making it easily accessible from towns further afield such as Leeds, Liverpool, Preston and Bradford.
Marl Pits Leisure Centre comprises of swimming pool, fitness suite, athletics track, football and rugby pitches as well as 3G 5-a-side football pitch. It is well signposted from the centre of Rawtenstall.
The following facilities are available at Marl Pits Leisure Centre
- Toilets at the Leisure Centre and Rugby Club
- Showers and changing facilities at the Leisure Centre
- Vending machines at the Leisure Centre
- Full bar at the Rugby club
Where to spectate…
The Rossendale Triathlon offers several places to view the race.
- The swimming pool has a large spectator gallery running the whole length of the pool. You couldn’t be closer to the action! As the race is an adult-only event please feel free to take pictures of your friends and relatives.
- The bike course has several great places to witness the effort that friends and family are putting into their cycling. These include the summit of Crown Point and the final climb near Clowbridge reservoir. Both these locations are indicated on the cycle map.
Access to both these view points is via the cycle route so please take care if driving and watch out for other competitors.
- The run course comprises of 3 laps with each lap passing through the centre of Marl Pits. Again this offers a great opportunity to support and encourage all the competitors. And our resident DJ will be keeping things exciting with both race commentary and a selection of inspiring songs!